Sunday, September 8, 2019

Touching a Sore Spot


One Sunday morning I greeted a man as he entered the church. When I shook his hand, I placed my other hand on his shoulder. He immediately recoiled in pain, moaning "Owww!"

I didn't mean to hurt him when I greeted him. I was trying to make him feel welcome. I had gently touched him on his shoulder, the same thing I had done to several other folks that morning. However, no one else had pulled away from me. This man reacted differently from the rest because He had injured his shoulder a few days before. I had touched his sore spot.

Suddenly I understood how physical injuries can teach us about spiritual wounds, and why people with wounded spirits are offended by innocent comments and react abnormally. They’re protecting sore spots on their souls. The slightest touch on their hurting area affects how they react to others.

Even King David had a sore spot. He said, “For I am afflicted and needy, and my heart is wounded within me” (Ps. 109:22). Because a sore spot is invisible, no one knows where it’s located until someone touches it. An abnormal reaction to an innocent remark, which wouldn't bother a healthy person, usually indicates a hidden hurt has been detected.

Even if you were wounded years ago, an unhealed sore spot can cause pain today. If someone says something that triggers a hurtful memory, you’ll either react defensively or withdraw in pain. Someone has said, “A person with a toothache cannot fall in love.” That’s true. It’s hard to love others if you are hurting inside.

Healing begins by forgiving the person who hurt you. Ask God to heal you of your hurts from the past. You’ll feel a lot better tomorrow if you will do it today. www.kentcrockett.blogspot.com www.makinglifecount.net
****************************************************************************************************
FREE PRINTED SERMONS CLICK HERE

Receive these devotionals (free) by email: You can subscribe in the box on the right at www.kentcrockett.blogspot.com (Your email will not be given out. You’ll receive an email when the new devotional is posted)

Making Life Count Ministries
P.O. Box 680174
Prattville, Alabama 36068-0174
www.makinglifecount.net  Twitter: @KentCrockett
www.kentcrockett.blogspot.com