Sunday, March 12, 2017

Do I Have Blind Spots?

Recently I was driving on the Interstate and wanted to change lanes. I didn’t know a car was slightly behind me on the right in my blind spot. My wife in the passenger seat told me about the car that was hidden from my view. I didn’t get angry with her for pointing out something that I couldn’t see. She was helping me, which kept me from getting in a wreck.

Just like we have blind spots in our cars, we’ve got blind spots in our lives. We have faults and weaknesses that we can’t see on our own. How can we possibly see something we are blind to? It takes humility and willingness to change.

1. Ask God to reveal your faults. King David knew he had blind spots, so he prayed, “Search me, O God, and know my heart, try me and know my thoughts, and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way” (Ps. 139:23-24). He realized God knows everything and would reveal harmful attitudes in his life.

2. Ask someone you trust. It hurts to hear someone point out our faults, but if we ask someone that we trust it will probably be accurate and easier to accept. A friend of mine once asked me, “If I knew something about you that you don’t know, would you want me to tell you?” He left the decision in my court, and I told him I did. He told me something I needed to hear and correct.

3. Your critics will gladly point them out. A critical person will probably exaggerate your faults, but ask God if there’s a grain of truth in his/her statement. Shimei cursed and slandered David, but David found a grain of truth in his criticism (2 Sam. 16:5-12).

When we see our blind spots and correct them, it keeps us from wrecking our marriage and relationships—which pleases God and brings His blessing.  www.kentcrockett.blogspot.com  www.makinglifecount.net
*****************************************************************************************

Receive these devotionals (free) by email: You can subscribe in the box on the right at www.kentcrockett.blogspot.com (Your email will not be given out. You’ll receive an email when the new devotional is posted)

Making Life Count Ministries
P.O. Box 680174
Prattville, Alabama 36068-0174
www.makinglifecount.net  Twitter: @KentCrockett