Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Learning to Say No

A man told Jesus, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the family inheritance with me” (Luke 12:13). He was trying to give Jesus a job that His Father hadn’t called to do.

Jesus could have told him, “Okay, I’ll be glad to add another item to my plate. I’m already a counselor, teacher, physician, and miracle worker. I’ll just add lawyer to my list of duties because I don’t have the courage to tell you No.”

Instead of saying that He replied, “Man, who appointed Me a judge or arbiter over you?” (Luke 12:14)  Sounds a little bit rude, doesn’t it? But Jesus refused to take on a responsibility that His Father hadn’t given Him. And this is a teachable moment for us. If we are busy doing things that God HASN’T called us to do, then we won’t have time to do what He DOES want us to do.

Many people take on responsibilities at church—not because God wants them to do it, but because someone pressured them into doing it and they didn’t have the courage to say no.
Whenever someone tries to give you a task, ask the Lord if it is something He wants you to do. If He says yes, then do it joyfully. If He says no, then learn to say no. And don’t feel guilty either.
               
The Sure Cure for Worry is ON SALE for $0.99 at CBD.com

Making Life Count Ministries
P.O. Box 680174
Prattville, Alabama 36068-0174
Thank you to all who support this discipleship ministry. 
Contributions to Making Life Count Ministries are tax-deductible.