Sunday, November 8, 2020

The Only Way to Defeat Fear

Are you afraid
about the uncertainty going on in our country? King David tells us how to get rid of fear.

After David killed Goliath, Saul became jealous of David and constantly tried to kill him. David knew he would be recognized anywhere in Israel, so he fled to Gath, hoping to live inconspicuously among the Philistines. He knew Saul would never look for him there.

Goliath was from the city of Gath (1 Sam. 17:4), and it didn’t take long for the servants of king Achish to recognize David. They even knew about the song the women sang after his victory over Goliath, “Saul has slain his thousands, and David his ten thousands” (see 1 Sam. 18:7 and 21:11). David was terrified when he heard the king’s servants talking about seizing him. “Now David took these words to heart and was very much afraid of Achish the king of Gath” (1 Sam. 21:12).

Later, David wrote Psalm 56 about his experience when the Philistines captured him in Gath. In Psalm 56:3-4, he tells us how he overcame his fear. He said, When I am afraid, I will put my trust in You … In God I have put my trust. I shall not be afraid.” David knew fear can only be defeated by replacing it with trust in God. He said, “I sought the Lord and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fears” (Psalm 34:4). 

To “put” means to transfer something from one place to another. When you put gasoline into your car, you transfer the fuel from the gas pump to your tank. So when you put your trust in the Lord, you stop trusting in yourself and transfer your trust completely to Him. How will you know if you trust Him? Your fear will leave and you will have peace in your heart.

PRAYER: “Lord, you know that I’m afraid. I choose right now to put my trust in you. I trust you to guide me and provide for me. I will not be afraid because I believe you are in control and I trust you completely.”

For more about overcoming fear, read The Sure Cure for Worry.

Over 270 printable Bible studies at www.makinglifecount.net
****************************************************************************************************
Receive these devotionals (free) by email: You can subscribe in the box on the right at www.kentcrockett.blogspot.com (Your email will not be given out. You’ll receive an email when the new devotional is posted)
 
Making Life Count Ministries
P.O. Box 680174
Prattville, Alabama 36068-0174
www.makinglifecount.net  Twitter: @KentCrockett
www.kentcrockett.blogspot.com