Saturday, September 30, 2017

Things That Get On Your Nerves

What drives you crazy? My wife doesn’t like hearing my metal spoon clicking the bowl when I eat ice cream. I’m not sure why it bugs her because it doesn’t bother me at all. But TV commercials with goofy songs—now that drives me nuts. Like this one advertising FreeCreditReport.com. When the annoying commercial comes on five times every night, I grab the remote and change channels—but it’s on the other station too! I’ve tried to call the companies to please stop them, but their websites don’t have any way to contact their advertising department. And that’s ANOTHER thing that gets on my nerves!

If someone does something that irritates you:
1. You might need more patience. God tells us to “be patient with everyone” (1 Thess. 5:14). Yes, even offensive people. “Bearing with one another” (Col. 3:13) means to put up with those who get on your nerves. God often uses quirky individuals to develop godly qualities in us. After all, how can we gain patience if we don’t go through any trials?

2. You might need to avoid them. The Bible does tell us to avoid certain people (See Prov. 20:19, 1 Cor. 5:11, 2 Tim. 3:5). You can be friendly to everyone, but you don’t have to be friends with everyone. You don’t have to be best friends with someone who aggravates you. It makes more sense to spend time with those who encourage you.  

3. You might need to change something. If you’re married just say, “Honey, did you know when you [fill in the blank] it gets on my nerves?” That’s what my wife said about my spoon clicking. The solution was simple.
The apostle Paul said, “If food causes my brother to stumble, I will never eat meat again” (1 Cor. 8:13). I didn’t quit eating ice cream, but I did start eating it with a plastic spoon, which makes my wife happy. See? It’s not that hard to figure out how to calm your nerves. www.kentcrockett.blogspot.com  www.makinglifecount.net
****************************************************************************************************

Receive these devotionals (free) by email: You can subscribe in the box on the right at www.kentcrockett.blogspot.com (Your email will not be given out. You’ll receive an email when the new devotional is posted)

Making Life Count Ministries
P.O. Box 680174
Prattville, Alabama 36068-0174
www.makinglifecount.net  Twitter: @KentCrockett