Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Beware of the Dog

(The following story is an excerpt from Slaying Your Giants)   A salesman was making his first visit to see a farmer. He was walking down a long dirt road when he saw a big sign: “Beware of the dog.” He paused for a moment and decided to keep going. As he got further down the road he saw of another sign: “BEWARE OF THE DOG!” He gulped and thought about turning around, but decided to proceed. His desire to make the sale was greater than his fears.

Finally, at the end of the road, he arrived at the farmhouse and found a little puppy sitting on the front porch. When the farmer answered the door, the salesman asked, “Do you really expect that little dog to keep people away?” “No,” the farmer replied. “I expect the signs to do that.”

Often the thing we dread isn’t nearly as bad as we think it will be.  It’s just a puppy on the porch.  What frightens us is not the actual event but believing all those scary signs along the way.

What is your greatest fear right now?  Did you know that 92% of the things we worry about will never happen?  You’re probably thinking, “Yeah, but what about the other 8%?”  The other 8% will either not be as bad as you think, or God will give you the grace to get through it.  That takes care of all of your fears—if you will trust the Lord with them. This is why David could say, “I sought the Lord and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fears” (Psalm 34:4).   www.kentcrockett.blogspot.com
****************************************************************************************************