Friday, March 15, 2013

The Glasses You Wear

Why do people look at the same situation and see something different? It’s because of the glasses they wear. Suppose three people wearing different colored sunglasses all look at the same white piece of paper lying on a table. The one wearing pink glasses sees the paper as pink, the person with yellow glasses views yellow, and the one wearing blue glasses sees blue. When asked to explain what they see, they argue about the true color of the paper.

They each view the paper as a different color because they look through different glasses. Because they are looking through colored lenses, it filters the way they perceive the paper so they can’t see it as white. The same principle applies to the way we view life. The sinful attitudes in our hearts turn into the “colored lenses” that distort our perspectives.

Unfortunately, not all glasses are rose-colored. Negative people view their world through pessimist glasses. Restless people constantly search for greener grass because they look through discontentment glasses. People who imagine that others avoid them wear rejection glasses. Inferiority glasses make people see themselves in a self-destructive way. Envy glasses will make you upset when others appear to have more, while jealousy glasses make you suspicious and controlling.
 
A warped outlook on life creates conflict with others, causes us to sink into depression, views others suspiciously, and even makes us hate ourselves. Self insists on seeing everything through its own dogmatic point of view. “All the ways of a man are clean in his own sight, but the Lord weighs the motives” (Proverbs 16:2). The only way to remove your tinted glasses is by correcting the sinful attitude in your heart. You can take off your glasses by praying:
“Lord, I realize that I have (name the wrong attitude) in my heart. I realize that this sin is distorting my perspective and is (destroying my marriage, creating tension, etc.). I repent of this sin and will not let it ruin my life anymore. I choose to see my situation from your perspective, not mine. Amen.”

(Note: This is an excerpt from my book, I Once Was Blind but Now I Squint. It is out of print, but many of the chapters are including in my book Slaying Your Giants, which will be released April 30, 2013.)