Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Responding to God's Voice


When I first attended seminary, I rented an apartment located next to some railroad tracks.  I was soundly asleep on the first night when a train came roaring past my room, blaring its horn.  Immediately I jumped out of bed with my heart pounding, as I covered my ears to block the noise.  After the train passed, it took me a while to get back to sleep.

The next evening, the same thing happened.  I covered my head with a pillow and went back to sleep.  Each night after that, I briefly woke up and then quickly went to sleep.  I eventually learned to sleep through the train noise without waking up!  Because I stopped responding to the train, it no longer bothered me.

For years I have woken up by the beep on my wrist watch.  How could I sleep through a train but wake up to a soft beep?  It's because every morning I respond to the sound of my watch by immediately getting out of bed.   Because I kept ignoring the train, my heart got hardened to it.  And because I kept responding to the beep, I've stayed sensitive to it.

Hebrews 3:15 says, "Today if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts."   When God speaks and we don’t obey, our heart begins to harden.  Eventually we will get to the point where we can’t hear God’s voice.  But if we will respond to His voice, our hearts will stay sensitive to Him.

What is God saying to you today? Instead of putting a pillow over your head, learn to respond to what He says.

Coming in April 2013: Slaying Your Giants by Kent Crockett (Hendrickson Publishers)