Monday, November 19, 2012

Giving Cupcakes to God


I was sitting in the living room when my son Scott, who was 4 years-old at the time, came walking up behind me. He said, "Dad, I want to share my cupcake with you."

I'll admit that I felt proud at the moment. Patting myself on the back, I thought, My 4 year-old son is already learning to be a gracious giver. I've taught him well!

When I turned around, he was holding out his cupcake to me. Scott asked, "Do you want to eat the cupcake with me?" He had eaten all the icing off the top and was offering me the bottom half he didn't want!

What Scott did with the cupcake is similar to what we often do with God. After we've bought everything that we want (eat the icing), we'll give him a little offering if anything is left over (the bottom of the cupcake). The prophet Malachi rebuked Israel for doing that very thing. God wanted them to offer the very best of their flocks as sacrifices. Instead, they brought their sickly and diseased animals to the altar--the ones they didn't want and would die anyway. The Lord told them, "I am not pleased with you, nor will I accept an offering from you" (Malachi 1:10).

If our offering means nothing to us, it means nothing to God. We need to start thinking about what exactly we're giving to our Savior. Our loving God deserves to be honored in our worship. He's pleased when we give Him our best with a thankful heart. But He has no use for the bottom half of the cupcake. He's already received enough of those.