Friday, September 28, 2012

A Most Unusual Surgery


A surgeon named Dr. Kane searched for a candidate to undergo surgery so he could prove that appendectomies could be done under local anesthetic. At last, a patient was found, who was prepared for surgery and wheeled into the operating room. A local anesthetic was applied, leaving the patient able to talk and respond as the surgery progressed.
           
As he had done hundreds of times, Dr. Kane located the appendix, skillfully removed it, and finished the surgery. During the operation, the patient complained only of minor discomfort. He was taken to a hospital room, recovered quickly, and was dismissed two days later. Dr. Kane had demonstrated that local anesthesia was a viable and sometimes preferable alternative, thanks to the willingness of a brave volunteer.
           
What I did not tell you was that the courageous volunteer for surgery by Dr. Kane—was Dr. Kane. He had performed surgery on himself and removed his own appendix! (The Voice of the Village, July/August 1996) 
               
Sometimes the surgery you need the most can only be performed by yourself, on yourself. Ephesians 4:31 (HCSB) says, “All bitterness, anger and wrath, shouting and slander must be removed from you, along with all malice." No one else can remove your anger and bitterness for you. You have to remove it yourself. Today is the day that you are scheduled to perform self-surgery, to remove bitterness from your heart.

"Lord, I choose to forgive (the person) who hurt me because I know you died for that sin. Forgive me for my sin of refusing to forgive. Right now, I am removing this cancer from my heart. I choose to let it go and move on with my life. Thank you for setting me free!" 

Follow me on Twitter @KentCrockett  www.kentcrockett.blogspot.com