Monday, March 14, 2011

Drifting from God

Every summer when I was a kid, our family would travel from Texas to Florida to go to the beach for a week. Every day I would dash into the water and lay on my inflatable raft. One day, I got on my raft and closed my eyes. I enjoyed the gentle waves rocking me like a baby, and wasn't paying attention to the shore.

When I finally looked up, I was shocked to discover that I drifted a long, long way from land. I hadn't noticed that I was being gradually pulled out to sea! Fortunately, I could still see land and hurriedly paddled back to shore.

I drifted away because I wasn't paying attention. Hebrews 2:1 says, "For this reason, we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, lest we drift away from it."

We drift away from God in the same way. We quit paying attention to Him, and little by little we move away. When we quit spending time with God each day by talking to Him and reading His Word, it's inevitable that we'll drift away from Him. It happens so gradually we don't even realize it. Then something happens and when we finally look up, we see how far away we are.

When I realized I was far from the shore, I didn't get back to the beach by drifting. I had to make an effort to go against the current and paddle my way back. And you must also make an effort to get close to the Lord again. Start talking to Him throughout the day. Meditate on His Word. Get back to doing what you used to do when you were close to Him.
To hear the entire message on this topic, go to:
"Drifting from God."