Sunday, February 14, 2010

Brokenness

"A broken and contrite heart, O God, You will not despise" (Psalm 51:17). For years whenever I read that verse, I pictured in my mind a pot that had been broken into little pieces. It didn't make much sense to me. Then it dawned on me that a cracked pot wasn't the right idea at all. Instead, brokenness is like a cowboy breaking a horse.

When a horse isn't broken, it tries to throw the rider off. But when it reaches the place of brokenness, the horse surrenders to the cowboy and quits fighting against him. It's only then that the horse can be guided wherever the rider wishes to lead it.

In the same way, when we quit fighting against God and surrender to Him, we can be guided wherever the Lord wants to lead us. Willing to be led by God makes a lot more sense than being a crackpot!
Have you come to the place of brokenness?
Kent