Monday, August 24, 2009

American Idols

Do you have an American idol? It won't look like those carved statues in Africa. Those are African idols. American idols are a lot more attractive than that and much harder to recognize. In fact, most Americans will deny that what they are worshipping is an idol.

An idol is anything we love more than God. And what might that be? Let's see . . . how about money? Yeah, that might be one. Do you think all those people in Las Vegas throwing dice would admit that? Or the people who buy lottery tickets?

What about football? When 80,000 people pay outrageous ticket prices and scream their heads off for their team to win, could that be considered worshipping an idol? I love to watch college football, but at one time it was one of my idols. Any hobby can easily become an idol if we let it control us. I used to get extremely depressed whenever my team lost. Then it dawned on me that it wasn't God controlling my emotions, but my idol. Clothes, music, cars, houses, movie stars, and rock stars can also be false gods that we worship.

God said, "You shall not make for yourself an idol . . . you shall not worship them or serve them, for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God" (Ex. 20:4-5). Whatever you worship, you will serve. Take a look at what you serve (what gets your money, time, and interest) and you will find what you worship. I hope that it's the Lord.
Keep looking up!
Kent
Previous devotionals can be found at http://www.kentcrockett.blogspot.com in the archive.