Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Do You Like the Way You Look?

Have you ever wondered why Michael Jackson keeps having plastic surgery to reduce the size of his nose? The story behind the nose is a sad one. Michael's physically abusive father constantly mocked him, telling him that he was ugly because his nose was too big. As you can see from the picture on the left, he looked just fine. But apparently Michael believed his father's lie, and that's why he has submitted to so many surgeries to change his appearance.

Do you like the way you look? The father of lies, who is also known as Satan, plants thoughts in our minds to hate ourselves and the way we look. If we believe the lie, we'll then question God by saying, "Why did you make me like this???" Scripture gives the answer, "The thing molded will not say to the molder, 'Why did you make me like this?' will it?" (Rom. 9:20) God, of course, is the molder and we are the clay. The Lord didn't make a mistake when He made you!

The way to overcome self-hatred is to pray, "Lord, thank you for making me the way that I look. I accept myself as your creation!" David told God, "I give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. . . and my soul knows it very well" (Ps. 139:14).

It's a liberating thing to come to the place where you can embrace the way you look. Have you done this? If you haven't, you'll constantly be thinking about that plastic surgery you need.
Keep looking up!
Kent