Monday, May 11, 2009

Am I Deceived?

I laughed when I read a quote by an Army spokesman, "We know of not a single case where the enemy successfully used camouflage against us." The fact is, a deceived person doesn't know that he is being deceived. The scripture continually warns us to not be deceived.

A few days ago, two Mormons came to my front door. One of them told me that he knew the Book of Mormon was true because he was sincere and he felt it was true in his heart. I told him that many people are sincerely wrong and that truth will stand up to the facts. I gave them a paper I had written, proving that Joseph Smith had copied out of the King James Version when he fabricated the Book of Mormon, which was supposedly written around the time of Christ. Joseph Smith had copied the italicized words out of the 1611 King James Version, which were not in the Greek text, but were added by the translators to give clarity of thought.

How could the italicized words get into a document supposedly written 1600 years earlier? Any thinking person, who wants to be undeceived, would have to know that Joseph Smith copied them when he wrote the fictional document called The Book of Mormon.

Even as Christians we can fool ourselves. We can be in denial and refuse to acknowledge those hurtful attitudes that are so easily seen by everyone else. Augustine once said, "Before God can deliver us, we must undeceive ourselves."

How can a person get undeceived? Simply by being honest with yourself and with God. Pray, "Lord, if I am deceived, please show me the truth." Ask Him to show you if an attitude needs to be corrected. David prayed, "Search me, O God, and know my heart. Try me and know my anxious thoughts, and see if there be any hurtful way in me" (Ps. 139:23-24)
Keep looking up!
Kent